Tuesday, January 6, 2015

This is what 4 am looks like.


This is me at about 4:15 am today. Under the covers. Like a little kid. I had been up for a while. My bladder woke me at 3somethingish AM. Then the cat started crying because he could see a silver spot on the bottom of his bowl. (never mind that the exterior of that spot contained a circle of food). Then Tom started snoring. Then my pillow wouldn't adjust back to it's proper place. Sigh. When I can't get back to sleep I try to think pretty, happy, smiley thoughts. Unfortunately, the thoughts usually turn to work. This morning I tried to combat the work thoughts by starting a mental list of what I'd like to include in my vision board. I thought I'd start the list and my brain would slowly let me drift in to a wonderful sleep and my subconscious would take over the work on my list. Then when I awoke 2-3 hours later, my list would be served on a plate for breakfast. 

Well that's not what happened. 

I needed paper. Before I started rifling around in the dark for a pencil, paper, glasses, phone, etc. I mentally mapped out what is next to me on the floor and where my equipment is. "My little pad is in my crate right next to me, but I took the pencil out. My phone is in my purse. Wait, my little OttLight is on my table/chest by the bed. I'll pick that up, look for my glasses, get the pad, then the phone, then a pencil. Light, glasses, pad.... pencil might be in the interior pocket of my bag... Aha! Yes! And there's my phone! Woo Hoo!" Being able to dig around without waking Tom is a real feat. 

I started considering key words for how to define myself. Not how I currently define myself, but how I will define myself from now on. I no particular order:
Writer
Artist
Friend
Mother
Sister
Wife
Daughter
Hiker
Walker
Gardener
Camper
Traveler

Then I started considering what goals I want to set for myself in each area of my life. Some people recommend that you do this for 2015. I choosing not to do that. If my goals change, I'll do another board:

  • Meet all four targets in September.  BMI, Blood Sugar, Cholesteral, Blood Pressure. Path of health (not TO health. You don't get to health and say "Hey! We made it! Woo hoo!" Then turn around.)  :  1. Attend Weight Watchers. (32 down. 41 to go). 2. Eat whole foods. 3. Create a lush garden that will deliver bounty to my families table. 4. Expand our fermintation. 
  • 359 days logged on 12/31/2014  30 minutes a day. 10k steps. (Get a pedometer). Try different yoga classes. If it works, budget and commit.  
  • Hike Twice a Month. Make one of those over 7 miles.
  • Write Weekly - Pull out half written stories and essays. Either finish and aim to publish, or trash them. Use blog to communicate passion for creativity. Get serious about the design. Start an interview series. 
  • Travel Set reservations/plans for trips/excursions. 3-4 reserved weekends within 60 miles. 
  • Manage Money  Set a Summer Camp budget and plan weeks. Revisit 401k. 

I need to zero in and set a clear goals under "Travel" and "Manage Money". I didn't set any goals for Friend/Mother/Wife/Sister/Daughter because if I take care of myself, all of that will fall in line. Besides, that goal would read "Be a better ______ ".

My girlfriends and I have set a "Vision Board" weekend together on the 24th to work on our boards. Between now and then I am going to work on my definitions and goals and decide how I am going to visually communicate them to myself each morning. 

I bought a frame at IKEA that I am going to use. I want to make my board beautiful, so that I when I wake up I each day I will look at it, appreciate it, and "listen" to its message.

I'll do a post on the finished product after the 24th. 

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment