Monday, August 15, 2011

ModPodge Bank


I love Trader Joe's coffee. Every time I finish a can, I wash it out and put the can on a shelf in my craft room, knowing that someday I'll do something super cool with it.


Here's a super cool idea........ MODPODGE BANKS!!

Step 1: Get a can. (Doesn't have to be a TJ's can, I just think they're a great size - and I drink a lot of coffee. 
















Step 2: Gather your tools.
* Mod podge and brush (sponge brush works just fine)
* Cutter or scissors
* Paper: Thick card stock is not appropriate for this project. Use thinner printed scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, stationary, tissue, etc.
* Embellishments: Stickers, tags, die cuts, etc.
* Step 3: Prep
* Measure the width around your can, and cut paper strips long enough to run it.
* If you want a more "collaged" look, then rip or cut shapes.
* (My next can will be decorated with wrapping paper die cuts. )
Step 4: Decorate your can
* Apply thin coat of Mod Podge to the back of your strip or shape. I "paint" it on very thin.













* While holding one end of the strip, slowly wrap a strip around the can, taking care to smooth out any wrinkles as you go. Repeat this step for the rest of the strips or embellishments.


















Step 5: Seal your can
Hold the can over a fist, and begin to paint a light coat of Modpodge around the can. Apply 4-5 coats of Mod Podge. Let the Mod Podge dry completely between coats.
















Step 6: Let dry for 24 hours, put the lid on, and start to save those coins!!














Decide where you want your art, and put it on display!!


















No comments:

Post a Comment